Zach and I went through the two bins of fabric. They were cataloged by type, color, and quantity.
I certainly have enough fabric for an under gown, at least one woolen over gown of some type, or possibly two. There's also plenty of cotton gauze for chemises for myself, and shirts for Zach. He's also claimed a bunch of the wool, the wool crepe, and the various bits of rather bright silk scraps. I have mentioned he's a garb snob.
What we need is fabric for pattern drafting, and I would like linen for over dresses. But that will be next month.
In the meantime, everything is sorted, one bin of fabric will get put back into storage, the other will be shelved, but accessible.
Last week, I made French toast with a leftover loaf of challah. I whisked together milk, eggs, dark brown sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl, dipped the bread, and dropped them into a frying pan with sizzling butter.
Nati refused to try it, even though I told him it was similar to pancakes he makes with his dad, but he wasn't interested. Elchanan tried it, and loved it. That was dinner for Zach and myself.
On Thursday, I bought a loaf of water challah and made more French toast. This time, Nati was willing to try it and he LOVED it. There was nothing left for breakfast the next morning.
So Friday, I bought three more loaves of water challah, and I just made them. The boys will have it for breakfast, and possibly take for their school snack.
Zach and I schlepped the various large plastic bins of fabric into the living room so we could take inventory.
There's some beautiful lightweight white cotton for shirts and chemises, a gorgeously soft cream-colored linen with a herringbone pattern that will make a great under gown or two, wool in various colors and sizes, including a pretty plum purple that is perfect for an over gown of some kind. There's several yards of velvet in a couple colors, and a few scraps of silk. There's also several meters of lightweight wool crepe in off white and a dark red that Zach has claimed. And finally, nearly half a dozen rolls of trim of different patterns, widths, and colors.
Unfortunately I couldn't find the fabric I have for panels for the baby wraps.
So, next month, when we have a bit more of a budget, we'll head to the fabric shop, get some fabric for the panels, and a medium weight cotton to draft patterns for garb.
Before any new fabric gets bought, I need to look through the two bins of fabric we already have and take stock. So naturally I have a raging sinus infection, and pulling things out of storage, bending down, and all the dust involved are NOT good for me. So Zach will have to do the schlepping. We'll make a list and add it to our garb spreadsheet.
Before I make any garb though, I just want to make a few baby wearing wraps. I have 6 meters of maroon, and 6 meters of grey stretchy tricot material. Because they're so wide, I can get two wraps from each. Technically it's a no-sew wrap, because the t-shirt material just rolls up a bit at the various ends, but I like to personalize them with a panel pocket in the center of non-stretch material, which makes it easier for the wearer to mark the center when putting it on. I tend to make them about 18 inches by 12 inches, so you can also fit a diaper, some wipes, maybe even a cell phone, although I don't recommend that.
One of the wraps will be sent to Zach's cousin and her wife, who are expecting a baby in March. The other ones I want to sell.
Last night, my brain got the better of me, and I barely slept. I woke up at midnight, tossed and turned for nearly 2 1/2 hours, and then decided the sinus headache wasn't going away after all, so I'd better get some Ibuprofen. Also, I was trying to figure out how I was going to get 3 time-consuming things for work done while going to the book store at 8:30 to get E two workbooks for school that he needs today, and I kept forgetting to get, and get it to him today. Zach is going into Tel Aviv, so he wouldn't be able to help.
So, at 2:30 I took Ibuprofen, and for the next 2 1/2 hours I got 2 out of the 3 work projects done, which had been my goal.
And as I worked, I tried to figure out what to do about garb for Pennsic.
I've decided I have 4 choices, based on my current sewing skills.
Of course, my dream gown is full on Tudor. I even have all the fabric necessary - blue and tan brocade for the bodice and sleeves, a brown velvet for the skirt and sleeve underside.
I think my plan of action is to start with the basic tunic gown and one overgown. Once I've gotten the hang of that (it's been about 7 years since I've sat in front of a sewing machine, and we just got a new one), I'll decide which of the others I feel I'm ready for. I think the Flemish has the most pieces, even though they all are very similar.
And I've given myself a huge time frame to get the costuming done. Famous last words, I know.
Well, now that I have plans of action, maybe I'll get some sleep tonight.